The Teachers' Lounge - a year for the ladies

My moviegoing is really gearing itself toward female roles this year. I have a history of looking at two things each Oscar season..writing and best supporting actor. Those two categories usually thrill me more than most. That being said, I was a little irritated that Michael Fassbender's wonderful portrayal in The Killer was looked over. But from the land of another Fassbinder, The Teachers' Lounge has been nominated for best International Feature Film. I'd mistaken The Zone of Interest, a United Kingdom film, was also a German entry.

The Teachers' Lounge knocked my socks off. I like a film that hasn't been overly promoted and reviewed before I have a chance to see it for myself. Although this feature has tons of articles, I was able to view it in an almost empty theater with only one guy and myself. Strangely enough, I'd selected my seat from the online chart only to discover I was next to a wall with no way to exit other than trip over that poor man on the same row, but next to the aisle.

I've been in many an empty theater for some of my favorite experiences like the time I saw Nico - Icon at the Elmwood in Berkeley and that crazy New Year's Eve at UC Theater on University when they played Werner Herzog's Cobra Verde - correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe to be the only US viewing. And it was another big empty theater I had all to myself.
Leonie Benesch portrays teacher Carla Nowak in The Teacher's Lounge. Her character whom I was immediately drawn to, is a dedicated educator, devoted to her students and her craft. The story is paired flawlessly with Benesch's performance to reveal a woman of impeccable nature. I kept getting that this was the type of human being we all strive to be, or should strive to be. I was reminded of my sister Martha whose work is in education and must deal with all kinds of personalities. I am always amazed at her handling situations in that environment of books and banning and strong opinion. Carla is one who lives her life in accordance to her belief. Everything about her down to the slightest detail is about adhering to honest clear decisions, about right and wrong.

I loved the clothes selected (my own personal thoughts...) by Benesch. I like to think she picked out her own wardrobe..and I don't want to hear any different. Every little part of this film (and let me paraphrase another quote I heard a long time ago when Roger Ebert and Gene Siskel were hosting their own show) was very lovingly (or painstakingly) put together. I think they said it about the movie Diner. The editing, the story, direction and acting - shout out to all those kids OMG...(I kept wondering how they got all those young people to be so SO believable)...but again all of the elements in this film worked together to suspend my disbelief in an extraordinary moviegoing experience. I was in that classroom with them all and I wanted to be.

Director İlker Çatak co-wrote the screenplay with Johannes Duncker - who is also a big-ass academe in the film education world with a master's thesis on the aesthetics of digital film..oboy what a mouthful. Çatak and his former schoolmate Duncker wrote the script and researched with educators during the pandemic. The story is based on actual experience and was filmed in a school about to be torn down. So a lot of things at play here.

On working with Leonie Benesch, "
She’s just a natural. Leonie has an intuition that is really impeccable. For me as a director, she nails it every time, and it was just a gift working with her. I never had to really give her direction. She’s just so smart and her work ethics are just incredible. At the second day of set, she knew all the names of every gaffer, every electrician — she’s that kind of actor who comes to set and treats everybody the same and is so kind to everybody and at the same time is a great and brilliant actor," Çatak told The Hollywood Reporter.

The reviews of this film are splayed through the trailer. From Variety "gripping...a tense social parable. Leonie Benesch is terrific." "One of the most THRILLING films of the year" says Rogerebert.com and I'm thinking Roger would agree. "Deliciously twisted," Vox. Screen Anarchy, "Damn near perfect!" Agree with all the above all the way.

Surprising that Leonie Benesch was not nominated for best actress, but I'm always surprised at the choices the Academy makes. Both Sandra Huller and Leonie Benesch blew me away this year. I will be watching for more Benesch. She is one of those artists whose work you want to enjoy - in a dark cinema house all by yourself.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Come back and save us, Steve McQueen

So Long, Marianne

Zone of Interest