Marital tips from Eden Spencer child bride

Ok, I got behind on my Handmaid's Tales. Forgive me since I actually read the damn book back in the 80's when there was no Twitter or Facebook or anybody to talk to about it. I binged through Season Two (almost) last night and fell in love with Eden Spencer, the child bride of Nick Blaine in a forced marriage. She's only fifteen and an innocent God-fearing farm girl. I was thrilled to see Sydney Sweeney from The White Lotus where she plays a narly teen and steals the show. Also in Netflix's Everything Sucks and Voyeurs. And Euphoria of course.

Now, I'm a big ass black humor fan and Hulu's The Handmaid's Tale is grim to say the least. It's almost impossible for a liberated feminist to watch. So thank you Jesus for little ol' Eden Blaine and her tips on how to keep house. She is so tasty, I want to go back and re-watch the whole season so I can keep track of all her household hints. 

She is determined to make her arranged marriage to Nick work and uses every trick in the book from her mother back on the farm, like getting through the sex part cuz it's her duty. She doesn't mind sharing this tidbit with Nick, either. What a turn on!

Over meals, she q and a's her hubby on the cuisine like using her mother's recipe for potatoes. Wanna know the secret? Rosemary. The kindly Serena Waterford lent some from the greenhouse to perfect the meal. We're always seeing Eden on her daily food shopping trips babbling on to raped handmaidens, one with her own tongue cut out and another with a gouged out eye. In one scene, she's like, "Tonight I was thinking about making a sweet cream pie!"

For some reason, and to me, the most binge-worthy deep black humor jokes lie in her incessant need to run all her recipes and ideas by June or Offred, our long suffering heroine. Have you ever had somebody in your life who pulls you aside to inundate you with every single detail? That's us. We're June listening to Eden chirp away like a happy little bird with all the secrets to a successful marriage that plumb just don't work. So I don't know about you, but I need Eden to keep it real and provide me with some much needed comedy relief served up delicious! Eden Spencer Blaine dot dot dot ... an American treasure!!


 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Come back and save us, Steve McQueen

So Long, Marianne

Zone of Interest