F&%k You I'm From Austin Film Talk needs to talk about the Oscars.
Here's what I've seen - not seen - liked - not liked -
 
BEST PICTURE
 
"The Father" haven't seen this one yet
"Judas and the Black Messiah" liked it ok but not a best picture if you're going for story - kinda choppy and left some holes.
"Mank" - love Hollywood movies and a lifetime fan of Herman Mankiewicz but couldn't finish this movie. Too talky and a little to full of itself.
"Minari" - Haven't seen this one yet...am I crazy or what?
"Nomadland" - I just plum didn't get it. Pretty pictures and important. Go ahead and shoot me for saying it, but I like me a good story.
"Promising Young Woman" So far my pick for best picture of the year. Best casting, best acting, best story, killer script and not a wasted moment, important and still tells the story with actual acts, beginning, middle and end. Even the costume design..I didn't stop one time in the show to think boy, I wonder who designed that dress or did her hair and make up for that scene. It just fit like the rest of the thing as a whole. It didn't beat you over the head with a message, but dang, did it deliver on a multitude of levels. The theme that resonated most with me was that of friendship.
"Sound of Metal" I wasn't able to finish this yet, but blame Covid and messing up my sleep pattern. I'll try again.
"The Trial of the Chicago 7″ - Great. This film did the telling of Fred Hampton much better than IMHO Judas and the Black Messiah. The mistreatment of Hampton was a horror show scene equivalent of Alien the original, On the Waterfront and Sweet Bird of Youth. 
 
ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Maria Bakalova, "Borat Subsequent Moviefilm" I said her the minute I saw this film. Best supporting actress performance of the year!
 
ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Sacha Baron Cohen, "The Trial of the Chicago 7" Hell to the yeah! Sacha WAS Abbie Hoffman and the Abbie Hoffman we wanted him to be.
 
ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
"Borat Subsequent MovieFilm"
 
ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
"Promising Young Woman"
 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Come back and save us, Steve McQueen

So Long, Marianne

Zone of Interest