Giddyup and go daddy, giddyup and GO: Ford vs. Ferrari


I have always hated car racing, but, o'boy, this was a good'n. I already went out on a limb and nailed Dolomite Is My Name best picture of the year, but dang it, we went and BOUGHT Ford vs. Ferrari. And, it was worth every penny. I yelled and threw up my arms the whole show.

So, first off, everybody did their job. The editing was flawless. I had to keep reminding myself, "hey, this is a movie!"  Awesome color whether a close in on a straw cowboy hat or some 7K rpm go fast car race shots. "DaVinci Resolve was in use not only when grading the film later in post but also earlier in editorial to generate fast reviews and continuous visual effects updates. EFILM’s conform editor Tashi Trieu conformed the project in Resolve and, from that point, needed to keep up with the production, reflecting revisions to the cut in the conform and allowing director James Mangold to audition looks and versions as and when required."

Down to the soundtrack...was that some raunchy-ass "Poke Salad Annie" playing throughout the whole thing? Uh....YEAH! My new favorite redo. Fucking thing jams!

And the script. I was jealous. Some asshole online made a jab calling it tired stereotyping, but geez. Gimme more a that! Stereotype your ass off. I will go see all your shows. And, buy 'em, too.

The actors. Good kid acting on Peter, Christian Bale's son. Good on Matt Damon who I usually can't stand, but really good in this. Gee-haw, did he take voice coaching from Tommy Lee Jones? Ray McKinnon who's played every sicko from Sons of Anarchy to Mayans and a whole bunch of other shit in between where they needed sleaze, got to be the voice of reason for a change. He's probably played more assholes than Bruce Dern back in the day and I'm not scared of him anymore.

Henry Ford 2 was really really solid and played by Tracy Letts. I loved that old eye-talian Mr. Ferrari. The director said he was influenced by The Godfather and dang if it doesn't spicy up the meata-ball!

But, Christian. Who I love. My favorite actor next to Lee Marvin and then Bruce Dern. Christian Bale. I have always written a character in my stories for Bruce Dern and now do likewise with Christian stories. In my book, Jackson, he's Big Jim Dupree, a racist pedophile who sings bad Elvis. In my soon to be published, Jules, the Truth Finder, I tailored the part of Sam Townes Henry, a Texas Governent teacher who's killed by a succubus and avenged by a whore's daughter from Beaumont. Every time he'd walk across the road in Ford vs. Ferrari, I'd think, "boy, he sure does walk like Sam!"

What I'm trying to say is he can play any role. So five great big old Fuck You's for Ford vs. Ferrari. From script to players to pace to cinematography to direction, I'm a happy camper. I might have to drag out Le Mans which is probably the only Steve McQueen movie I haven't seen. Bye Bye.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Come back and save us, Steve McQueen

So Long, Marianne

Zone of Interest