Uncut Gems: everybody's talking about Adam Sandler, but I love MISS JULIA FOX!

Uncut Gems is one busy damn show! It's full of cuts, edits, actors, moments, tension, twists, turns and knee jerks. It will wear you out. Spoiler alert...it opens with a colonoscopy and I called it the minute I saw the first extreme polyp close-up. I re-committed to my formal vow to never ever gamble again while I sat there watching this movie whose theme, at least to me, was gambling is Satan's playground. I had a life lesson at the Galveston, Texas amusement park where I lost a year's allowance at one of those old come-ons right as you entered the gates. My pledge was reinforced around 1974 by my weird compulsive gambler boyfriend back in Beaumont. So, Uncut Gems brought up a whole whale-size steamer trunk full of memories.

So, everybody was really really good in the movie. Of course, Adam Sandler who wore himself and myself out. How can anybody keep up that pace for a whole dang movie? Damn. Eric Bogosian, always tip top, brought up wafts of his performance in my favorite Eric Bogosian role besides Rocky Horror, Eddie Nash in Wonderland. Eric plays Arno, a weak-spined loan shark who can't quite control his heavies and also side-bets as Adam Sandler (Howard Ratner's) brother-in-law. And, while we're in the heavies department, there was so much good character acting going on, it was almost impossible to keep track. But, that being said, a standout is Keith Williams Richards who plays Arno's main goon, Phil. I loved all his parts in the 49-seat sold out theater as I sat sandwiched in between Lakeway-ites.

But, back to Miss Fox who pretty much steals every scene she's in. You just can't take your eyes off her and can't wait to find out what's coming out of her mouth next. Julia in Uncut Gems is reminiscent of Miss Caswell, Marilyn Monroe's breakout role in All About Eve. Pretty much pretty delicious! Plus, Fox, a former dominitrix, like Monroe, really can act and puts the whole thing in motion by acting her luscious plump ass off!! Favorite line: "He's gonna be major even though he's from Canada." 

All in all, Uncut Gems did its job. Good writing, good acting, great music and editing. Set decoration gets five big huge gold stars for tick-tack-tacky. Girls, we have ALL been in THAT guy's apartment and had our significant others try to pick out black-colored accoutrement for the home. No thanks, but really, really fun in this movie. And The Weekend playing himself. Dude can croon. Uncut Gems gets FIVE outta five big FUCK YOUS. Highly and lowly entertaining to the max!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Come back and save us, Steve McQueen

So Long, Marianne

Zone of Interest