Come back and save us, Steve McQueen

Last night, I had a really great dream. It was still bad out there and Trump was still our evil president trying to kill us all. But, Steve McQueen was still alive. I had written a short story about a cowboy from Wyoming, a modern day cowboy, who runs for president. And wins! He turns out to be the kind of American this country needed. He saw the bad side of racism and oil creeps hurting the Native American nations. He'd seen it all, like cowboys do in real good cowboy movies. They're always on the outside looking in at the bad things civilization does.

Anyway, Steve loved this story. I was in San Francisco in the dream and Steve told me to run and get him his favorite treats, those striped peanut butter bars and those Jolly Rancher Watermelon candies. I went over to Market Street and Castro nearby where we were meeting and couldn't find those striped bars anywhere. I wound up at this Asian market and had to get him this weird jello stuff that was watermelon flavored and a sack of peppermints, the only other candy.

I went back and pitched the idea to Steve who loved it. I told him while I was out getting the candy, I got it into my head that he needed to play the role. And while he was at it, he should run for president, too. He laughed and told me I had a nice ass. That was in the dream!

He literally loved the idea of the movie, running for president, not so much. The story was wonderful. A dream come true. Steve McQueen ended up delivering an Oscar performance, like the kind they actually used to give Oscars for. It had elements of Pretty Boy Floyd helping the poor and oppressed people. People don't seem to mind voting for a criminal if the criminal helps people and isn't a creep crook like Trump.               

Steve McQueen is and always has been one of my favorite actors. Ever since Wanted Dead or Alive which my cats watch on tv. It's their favorite show and they have good taste, my cats. So Steve drew on his inner Junior Bonner ---- yeah, Sam Peckinpah who's photo is sitting right up in front of me right now. And Doc McCoy, another Peckinpah great film, The Getaway. How could it not be my favorite Peckinpah movie? A Walter Hill script from a Jim Thompson story? With the best villain ever, another one of my favorite all time ex-rodeo riders and great character actors, Ben Johnson. And Ali MacGraw, who really did have a fine ass, swimming in the San Marcos River.

Steve McQueen is also the only man who could ever get away with wearing a turtleneck. Period.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So Long, Marianne

Zone of Interest